My name is Jarred Slimovitch and I am running for Med-2 Class Council President. I have been an active member of student associations my entire life; I was the Vice-President Communications for the Med-P/Dent-P Student Association (MDSA), a member of student Congress in CEGEP, worked on the Harassment Awareness Committee defending student rights, and participated actively in the Student Union of John Abbott College (SUJAC). I am ready and extremely motivated to serve on your student council.
I have already spoken at length with our current President, Amanda Try, as well as with the current Med-2 President, Brian Tran, to better identify crucial changes that should be enacted in the coming year. I plan to continue the incredible work of our past student leaders by implementing many of the items outlined in the MSS Strategic Plan for 2017 as well as some of my own ideas which include:
- Facilitating communication by restructuring the current email system, assigning a Facebook group moderator to keep things organized, and limiting in-class notifications.
- Creating a better centralized student calendar which is lacking during the Transition to Clinical Practice (TCP).
- Increasing WELL Office collaboration and mental health initiatives.
- Increasing opportunities for meaningful feedback.
- Increasing transparency by creating a simple webpage where Class Council Meeting minutes, annual reports from Council members, as well as budgetary information related to events will be available.
- Improving student spaces by purchasing more kitchen appliances (microwaves, coffee machines, toasters) and providing FREE snacks during exam periods.
My methods are straight forward, I am approachable, I am a team player, and most importantly, I know how to implement change.
Il est aussi notable que je suis complètement bilingue, écrit et à l’oral ayant étudié en Français au primaire et au secondaire. Notre cohorte est diverse et multilingue et il est primordial que l’on soit représenté par un individu qui peut communiquer aisément dans les deux langues officielles.
I am aware that most of you don’t know me very well but I intend to get to know you better over the coming year. I welcome you to reach out to me, to those who know me, and especially to my fellow MDSA council members. They will attest that I am very well suited for this position. I hope that you will give me the opportunity and the honour to represent you and your colleagues as Class President, I won’t disappoint you.