My name is Siwen, and I am currently the treasurer of the Med-1 council.
Student wellness is a very important cause for me, since I have personally dealt with issues in the past years that have made me realize the importance of self-care. I am very happy to see that wellness is gaining momentum and that much is presently being done to improve the physical and mental health of medical students. Given the academic rigor of Medical School it is easy for students to neglect themselves during busy periods.
My goal this year is to raise awareness for the importance of self-care and give methods to incorporate self-care into everyone’s daily routine.
Here are some ideas:
- Anonymous journal: A call for submissions will be sent out to all medical students where they will be encouraged to share their stories and personal experiences with mental health. They can be poems, texts, drawings, anything really. The authors will remain anonymous with the option of publishing under their names if they wish to do so. Then the journal will be sent to MSS members in order to share, discuss and raise awareness.
- Events day: I wanted to work closely with the MSS clubs and have each club organize an activity, event or workshop on the same day. Students can have a day off to try and sign up for these events and hopefully, new passions will be discovered!
- Sport clubs: Many students are doing physical activities on their own. I would like to regroup them and create a more organized setting to ensure continuity. We can have weekly running club, yoga classes and spinning classes. The classes will be free (or at a small cost for room rental for example) and will be led by medical students.
- Abusive relationship awareness: This is a very important topic for me. In our own community at McGill, we are currently implementing policies and measures to fight sexual violence. Moreover, 4% of Canadians reported having been physical or sexually abused by their spouse in the last five years (Stats Canada 2014).
- As doctors, we may encounter patients suffering from domestic or sexual violence. We must know how to react accordingly. As family members, friends or sadly, victims, we must be able to recognize these situations and know where to seek help.
I cannot wait to start my mandate and to work with every one of you! Please check out my campaign on Facebook for more details!