The conference funding program is an MSS student-oriented initiative that aims to provide financial assistance to students wishing to further their knowledge by participating to medical conferences.
MSS Conference Fund The Basics to Get You Started
Who is eligible?
Medical Students wishing to attend conferences in their field of interest
How much money is available per year?
- Maximum of 450.00CAD per person per conference
- Maximum of 900.00CAD per conference (based on two (2) people attending)
- The Office of Student Affairs will generously fund certain projects who could not get funded through the conference fund, or who did not receive the full amount requested; all application forms will automatically be forwarded to the Office by the MSS; you will be contacted if you receive funding through the Office of Student Affairs
When can I apply?
- You may apply retrospectively (if you attended a conference in the past 6 months) or prospectively (if you plan on attending a conference in the next 6 months)
- Funding will therefore only be provided for conferences between: August 13, 2016 and August 13, 2017
- No funding will be provided for conferences that took place before August 13, 2016
- People wishing to attended conferences that will take place after August 13, 2017 will be eligible for the next application period, in the Fall of 2017
How do I apply?
Complete the Conference Funding application form (below) by Sunday, March 5, 2017 @ 23h59 and send it to the MSS VP Finance, at the following address: email@example.com.
- The title of the e-mail should be the following: “[Conference funding] F2016 Last name, First name”
- Late applications will not be considered
- Attend the Distribution of Funds Meeting on the evening of Wednesday, March 22, 2017. Each applicant is expected to:
- Give a speech describing the conference and the budget
- Maximum speech of 3 minutes for conference funding requests
- Answer questions of the interviewing committee regarding his/her role in the conference
- Attendance to the Distribution of Funds Meeting is mandatory in order to receive funding
- If the Distribution of Funds Meeting cannot be attended for a valid reason (ex: night shift at the hospital), please mention it both in your application form and in the e-mail you will send to the VP Finance
What criteria are used to assess how much funding I am eligible to receive?
- Relevance of the subject of the conference (Medicine-oriented topics only)
- Magnitude and importance of the conference
- Reasons for attending and role of student at conference (attending / presenting / hosting)
- Appropriateness of the proposed budget
- Possible advantages to the Faculty of Medicine and Medical Students
When do I find out if I have been chosen to receive funding?
You will receive confirmation of funding within approximately two weeks of the Distribution of Funds Meeting
When do I receive my funding?
- After submitting all receipts and a revised budget to the MSS VP Finance
- After submitting a conference summary describing the strengths and weaknesses of the conference/initiative
- Disbursements will be made the following semester (September 2017). A check will be sent to the mailing address in the application form or if you have an RBC account, the amount will be deposited via direct deposit. Please mention the fact you have an RBC account in your application and your e-mail to submit it.